Orpheum Theatre Complex 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
Date of Completion
37,700 square feet
Since opening in 1913, the Orpheum Theater has been the setting for some of the regionís most memorable events including vaudeville, plays, concerts and other community events. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. In 2002, The City of Sioux Falls bought the theater from the Sioux Falls Community Playhouse and renovations began in 2003.
The south building, formerly known as the "Rainbow Bar", now houses the Anne Zabel Studio Theater as well as a classroom space. The center building creates a new main entrance and consists of two structures with a center landscaped courtyard. Front and back "Link" structures join the two older buildings together to create a new lobby space, loading dock and storage areas.
The renovation also included new office space for Channel 16 (City Link) and the Municipal Band. Other upgrades included life safety systems including fire alarm and building sprinkler. The three buildings also meet accessibility standards.
(4 of 9) photos